Friday, May 4, 2012

How God Might Feel; An Illustration

This morning, I called my son on the phone. He was inside the house and I was outside, sitting by the pool with my Bible, study matierials, and prayer journal. I was immobilized in a cuddly cocoon under two blankets pinned down by three little dogs.

My son and I had a brief phone conversation, in which I played the "next week is my birthday AND Mothers Day" card, hoping to woo him into bringing me the "present" of a much desired second cup of coffee. He toyed with me, speaking in a funny accent, and I asked him to also bring out a book that I wanted to share with him.

He brought me the cup of coffee and the book (what a wonderful boy!) 

A conversation ensued, where mostly I listened to him explain some things he wanted to share with me. I offered a comment or suggestion here or there, and really enjoyed sitting there spending time listening to my maturing teenager explain 'how he works' and various Bible verses which have been shaping his thinking and actions lately.

I took a sip of my coffee, and nearly spat it out. No sweetener. He brought me a gift, but fixed it his way, which is 'black.' I asked him to please make it right for me. He refused, saying I should drink it the way it is. 

Finally, he was finished with the conversation and headed back for the house. He left me there with coffee I could not drink, and no opportunity to share a few tidbits of wisdom that I had 'hand-picked' for him, according to his interests. 

About a half hour later, I was picking up around the house, and I couldn't help but think that God must have similar hopes, delights and disappointments when it comes to spending time interacting with his children. How often do I bring him 'drink offerings' and sacrifices that I pick out, which are not quite what he was asking for? How bitter and distasteful in His mouth such offerings must be! 

When I give Him what I want to give instead of what his Word commands, may my unsweetened coffee which I could not consume nor enjoy due to its bitterness be a reminder not to serve my heavenly Father as I see fit, but according to his Word, even if . . . especially if it is inconvenient. The whole idea of sacrificing, giving God our very best (from the abundance of blessings he has bestowed on us) may indeed involve that which costs us something valuable. We might have to make another trip, spend some precious time, money or energy on someone besides ourselves, offer forgiveness to someone who wronged us, offer an apology to someone we slew with our tongue. 

Israel's King David built an altar on land belonging to Arauna the Jebusite. Araunah wanted to give the land to David, but David insisted on paying him for it, saying "I will not sacrifice to the Lord my God burnt offerings that cost me nothing. Sacrifice by definition "costs" us something. 

In Psalm 51, a Psalm of King David, he writes "The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit; a broken and contrite heart, O God, you will not despise." 

Oh, Lord, teach me to offer you sacrifices that are pleasing in your sight, according to your Word. May your spirit convict me so that I repent of my sins instead of justifying myself. Teach me, also, to spend less time telling you about me and the amazing things I am learning, and more time listening to all the wisdom and insights that you have "hand picked" to share with me, according to the unique way you created me with specific gifts, talents and desires.




No comments: