Monday, May 7, 2012

"I Will Be With You"


      Here's a brand new song that I began writing on Friday, May 4th and completed today (Sunday.) The first verse grew out of a line in Psalm 88 that was underlined in my Bible. In the next two verses, I stayed with the soul-crushing feeling in the Psalm, of being down in the pit, under God's wrath and conviction; engulfed in terror and despair and stripped of friends. Sometimes God has to remove everything we count on in order to get our attention. C.S. Lewis wrote:

“God whispers to us in our pleasures, speaks to us in our conscience, but shouts in our pains: It is His megaphone to rouse a deaf world.” ("The Problem of Pain.")

   

    God is the vigilant, divine gardener; snipping, clipping and lopping off the wayward and dead branches that are not connected to Jesus, the source of creation and life. This "pruning process" is definitely NOT a pleasant experience, but a choice is presented to us during the hardship of discipline between being disabled or healed in the process. (Check out Hebrews Chapter 12.) Under his divine supervision, we will be healthy and bear much fruit. 


     The Chorus / Refrain section offers the balm of relief; knowledge of divine truth, based on God's unchanging and unimpeachable character and his promises to his people. I know that I was formed by the loving God in my mother's womb (Psalm 139) and that I will immediately go into his presence when I die. The invisible God in whom I put my faith on earth, will become visible. Knowing these glorious truths helps put this short time of life on earth (which at times seems so fleeting, and at other times, painful and hard) into perspective.


I Will Be With You

Verse 1:
My soul is full of trouble
Got one foot in the grave
I cry to you for mercy
    I'm calling on you Lord to save me    

But I 
know 
that 
you 
Knit me upTogether in my mother's womb 
and I 
know 
when 
I die 
that 
won't 
be me 
inside 
the tomb
I'll be with You
I'll be with You
I will be with You


Verse 2:
Your wrath weighs heavy on me
Down in the pit I lay
Left for dead and forgotten
And all my friends have gone away

Chorus/Refrain:

Verse 3:
This valley of dark shadows
Seems like an endless place
But I know one day I will
Find rest and see You face to face

Chorus/Refrain:

Oh I 
know 
that 
you 
Knit me upTogether in my mother's womb 
and I 
know 
when 
I die 
that 
won't 
be me 
inside 
the tomb
I'll be with You
I'll be with You
I will be with You


Tag: You'll see me through,
Make me brand new,
I will be with You

©2012 Linda Geleris

No comments: